Mold can be found in a number of places, including your home, food, and outside. Although you often don’t notice mold without some common signs, breathing it in for prolonged periods of time can be harmful to your health, particularly for those who are sensitive to mold. Here are 5 symptoms of mold exposure that you should look out for.
1. Sinus Problems That Don’t Clear Up
If your nose is often congested, it might not be seasonal allergies or a common cold. Studies have found that the majority of people with chronic sinus problems either have a mold problem in their home or workplace. Regardless, it’s important to visit a doctor to determine the exact cause of your sinus issues.
2. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is One of the Symptoms of Mold Exposure
Another symptom of mold exposure is Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. This condition can be quite tricky and varies in severity among patients. It typically presents itself as a result of inflammation in the lungs from breathing in air that is contaminated with mold or chemicals. Although studies have confirmed that the condition is relatively rare, it’s still something to keep in mind if you’re exposed to mold on a daily basis.
3. Asthma Induced By Mold
Asthma sufferers may experience flare-ups when they are exposed to mold. Those who suffer from a mold allergy and asthma should be on high alert to avoid mold and an emergency plan should be in place so the proper course of action is taken when a reaction does occur. Even those who do not have asthma can have a negative reaction to breathing in the fungus. If you begin to experience wheezing, shortness of breath, and other respiratory issues, you should consult with your physician immediately.
4. Skin Issues
Mold can cause certain skin conditions to develop like nummular and dyshidrotic eczemas and Sporotrichosis. In many cases of Sporotrichosis, mold has entered the skin through an open wound that was exposed to it. The mold spores are often found in damp floor joists, basements, and crawl spaces.
One of the first symptoms of the condition will be a firm bump on the skin, and this could take months to appear. Over time, the bump can develop into an infected sore that is difficult to treat. Wear gloves and proper clothing when working in damp areas of your home to protect yourself from contracting Sporotrichosis.
One of the symptoms of mold exposure that is often overlooked is fatigue. Although the two might not be directly related, if mold is negatively impacting your respiratory system, you’re probably not sleeping very well. Many other illnesses that come from mold exposure can also lead to fatigue.
Whether you can see it or not, if you’re experiencing these symptoms of mold exposure, it’s a good idea to have your home tested and inspected for it by a mold professional and consult with a doctor to determine the cause of your symptoms.